Also for vegetarians
Time: 30 mins – 1 hour
Serves: 4 as part of a shared meal
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 knob ginger (about 2cm), peeled and finely chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Chinese sausages (lap Cheong), sliced into rounds or vegetarian sausage
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts, roasted
- 400g cooked (and chilled) white long-grain rice (about 1 1/4 cups raw rice)
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- shredded spring onion, to serve
- Soak mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes. In another bowl, soak shrimp in warm water for 20 minutes. Drain both well. Remove and discard stalks from the mushrooms and finely slice.
- Heat wok (CH = 17-2) or a cooking/serving tray (CH 70-5) until warm and add the oil. When the oil is hot, stir-fry the ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add the sausage and stir-fry for another minute, then add the shrimp, mushrooms, and peanuts and toss together. Add the rice, then the oyster and soy sauces. Work the mixture together thoroughly with a spoon, then transfer to a large Black Pottery pot (CH- 18-4).
- Add the stock to the mixture and stir. Cover the Black pottery pot and cook over low heat (medium heat) for 25 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the dish stand for a further 10 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Scatter with spring onion and serve.